Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beauty is Embarrassing

Saw Beauty is Embarrassing at the Nashville Film Festival a couple of weeks ago. It's a documentary about Wayne White, someone I had vaguely heard of for years but actually knew very little about. The documentary was fantastic, hilarious, and inspirational. And the screening offered a few "extras" that definitely will not be available on the DVD and Blu-ray versions of the film.

I got to meet Wayne White himself, to hang with puppeteer Alison Mork, and perhaps most special of all, to meet Fran Powell. Ms. Powell was the creator and host of numerous Nashville-based music education TV programs that we watched in school when I was growing up in Clarksville, TN. After the screening, I sang the theme to "The Music Box" with her. One wonders...how is is possible that I still remember that song? It has to have been a minimum of 40 years since I heard it, but I remember every note and word.

Wayne and Alison worked on Ms. Powell's show "Mrs. Cabobble's Caboose", which (as a clip in the documentary demonstrated) hugely anticipated the look of "Pee-wee's Playhouse", which both Wayne and Alison also worked on.

I can't recommend the film highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment