Wednesday, July 31, 2013

1973

1973, and trauma: I had to change schools. I forget exactly why, but due to some sort of rezoning, or enforced zoning, I had to switch from Moore School to Smith School. This was highly traumatic, but I ended up adapting very well, and made a whole new set of friends.

I regret to say that I do not remember my 5th grade teacher's name. Mrs. Harris? I vaguely remember her, but can't recall her name. But I probably started 5th grade just a couple of weeks before my 10th birthday. That's the way it always happened.

It's interesting that this is the first year when I have actual memories of many of the top news stories: Watergate, the World Trade Center and Sears Tower, Secretariat, Skylab, and Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs. My social and political consciousness were awakening. Or something like that.

We took a trip to Atlanta that summer, which I remember because we saw Hank Aaron hit his 700th home run.

Also, in vaguely-Georgia-related news, Walt Kelly died. I don't remember this happening, but I sure did love Pogo.

Anyway, that's what I've got for 1973.

No comments:

Post a Comment